Thursday, November 20, 2008

China Buffet

My grandparents had a cabin at Cresent Lake in Alpha Illinois for years. I loved the cabin as did the rest of the family. As you came in the door to the right was the toy cupboard. This was a fantastic piece of furniture that held toys, games, coloring books, and odds and ends of Grandma and Grandpa Vans. We all knew right where to look or ask to go to for things to do at Grandma and Grandpa Vans. A couple of years ago the family as a whole made the decision it was time to sell the cabin at the lake. It was a very sad time and like loosing my grandparents all over again when we had to go through all of the belongings at the lake. We all went through the cabin putting our names on things we'd like to have. My cousin, Brandon, and I both wanted the "toy" cabinet. My brother thought I was nuts and was ready to burn the thing because it was in such bad shape. However, I, the hopeless dreamer, was sure it could be restored and used forever in my own house someday...
Brandon was so kind and gracious and gave the china hutch to me.

I finally sent it away to be refinished. Travis gave me the refinishing piece as my birthday/Christmas present.

After several issues with the refinishing of the piece we picked it up today! It is BEAUTIFUL! I never would have thought the piece would end up like this. I can't believe it's the same piece! I also, want to kick myself because I forgot to take a before photo...however, I, along with the rest of the "Vancil" family know what it used to look like.
Are you ready?????




3 comments:

Kay said...

Very nice, Misty. I'm sure your grandparents are looking down, quite pleased with the results.

Love,
Kay

BrandonT said...

Misty,

I must admit I started to cry alittle when I saw the photos. I never could imagine that it could look so good. When I have been to your house I noticed it wasn't there and thought you might have given up on it and trashed it. I am so proud of you for preserving a piece of our family history for future generations.

P.S. Travis you rock!

Amber Hotchkiss said...

Misty,

Mom and I just checked out your blog after a day of shopping ourselves. We loved the picture of you and aunt lynn on black friday. The buffet turned out beautiful! Granny Van would be so proud

Love
Am