Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An old friend

When I was in 8th grade we got Buddy for my mom for mother's day. He quickly became attached to me and inadvertently became my dog. Buddy has been with me through a large amount of my life and many important life milestones. He was there when I had petty high school fights with friends, he was there when I cried over graduating and not seeing those friends anymore, he was there when I went off to college, when my parents separated, when I came home from college, when I met Travis, got engaged, got married, and had a baby. Buddy has been a true friend for a long time and up until Parker, was the "baby" of the family.

Buddy is 14 and has been failing in health over the past few weeks. We have done multiple tests with the vet, tried many medicines, but have not had any luck. It was decided by Travis, myself, and the veterinarian that we have done all we can to help Buddy and it is time to help his suffering by putting him to sleep on Friday.

I know we are doing the right thing, but MAN it's hard! He has been such a large part of our lives and everyone who meets Buddy loves him.
Buddy has finally decided that Parker isn't too bad after all!
Even in his weakened state, this is what I came home too yesterday! He had climbed up into Parker's bouncy and was enjoying an afternoon nap! Buddy will never cease to amaze me!


Our family has been lucky to have a dog like Buddy. I wish everyone could have such a loyal, caring, spunky, and funny friend like I have been blessed with!

5 comments:

Dustin & Michele Stehling said...

Oh, Misty. I rememeber when you got Buddy. He has always been such a good dog. I'll be thinking of you on Friday.

Cute, cute, cute, pictures of Parker with the pumpkin!
Michele

Kay said...

Putting your pet down is one of those gut-wrenching decisions, motivated by love and the desire not to see Buddy suffer any more. In a way, it's a final thank you for his many years of love given to you. He sure found his way into Travis' heart and into ours too. We share your anticipated grief. Please give him one last kiss on the top of his head from me.

Chervenka5 said...

My eyes watered and my throat hurt as I read this, and they continue to when I think of you guys.

BURNS FAMILY said...

Thinking of you guys on this tough day!

Elizabeth Stecher said...

Like you, I had to make that decision earlier this year. Bella had been with us for 12 years and without Carl it was the first time I had to make the decision on my own. The kids were great support but no - it is never easy. We can only gain some strength in knowing they are no longer suffering. I feel for you all - Elizabeth Stecher